No matter if you are traveling to see loved ones, or they are coming to you – please share our Holiday Safety Check List to help prevent burglaries.
Sometimes we get into a rush this time of year, and forget to do the everyday things, like double-checking to make sure doors are locked. A Check List can be key to crossing off ALL safety precautions before locking up and leaving town. Many of these suggestions come from our friends at Nextdoor. If you haven’t signed up, do it today! It’s a great resource for neighborhood information and safety advice.
- Tell a trusted neighbor if you’re planning to leave town for the holidays, so that they can keep an eye on your home. Don’t hide a key outside the house!
- Stop your mail and newspaper delivery. If it piles up, it’s a sure sign you’re not home.
- Double-check that all doors and window are locked. Even the windows on the second floor! Also stick around and watch your garage door close all the way before driving off.
- Add Emergency Contacts to Nextdoor to provide your neighbors with another way to help out in case a safety concern arises. Go to your profile and select Add Emergency Contacts.
- Arm your security system to protect your home. While it may seem obvious, your mind is distracted when you’re rushing out the door.
- Set up a few inside lights on a timer, so it appears as if someone is home.