2017 was a banner year for Grapevine with multiple major economic development deals announced. Some are currently under construction, several have celebrated grand openings and others will come to fruition in the months to come. Our economic development projects total nearly $1 billion in private investments and nearly five million in square footage. These projects represent new and expanded investments in our community that augment strong concentrations in core sectors of our economy. In addition to Grapevine’s mighty economic development efforts, we had other projects extremely worthy of mention.
The following companies are some of the projects/brands secured by our Grapevine City Council in 2017:
– We are TEXCITED! – Mayor William D. Tate and City Council members approved the all-new rail station that will be located at the corner of Main Street and Dallas Road. This TEXRail project will include a mix of unique features, including a covered platform, parking garage, plaza, event space, a food hall, and The Vin (boutique) Hotel. Construction is scheduled to begin in January, 2018. TEXRail will roll into Grapevine and the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (Terminal B) in late 2018.
– Stand Rock Hospitality – In 2017, Stand Rock Hospitality, one of the oldest family entertainment companies in the U.S. announced that they would build a state-of-the-art water park, hotel, and convention destination on the City’s property near the Grapevine Mills mall. The 190,000 square foot facility will have an initial phase of almost 500 hotel rooms and a capital investment of approximately $240 million. Subsequent phases could double the first phase of the project.
– Kubota Tractor Corporation unveiled its new North American Headquarters building in Grapevine with a ribbon cutting ceremony with Governor Greg Abbott, Masatoshi Kimata, President and Representative Director of the Kubota Group, along with State and local officials. The company’s move to Texas from Torrance, California is the most significant change it has undertaken in its successful 45-year history in the U.S.
– The Iconic Salt Lick BBQ Coming to Grapevine – The City of Grapevine boasts a long tradition of providing diverse dining experiences for its citizens and visitors. The City cleared the way for the award–winning Salt Lick BBQ to join the Grapevine, Texas family. Once completed in late 2018, the 10 acre property nestled in its wooded and relaxed location will offer 10,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor dining as well as a specialty wine and beer bar.
– FieldhouseUSA Grapevine Officially Opened – This community based facility specializes in year-round league sports, events and tournaments.
– City Unveils New Website – The all-new GrapevineTexas.govwebsite is now far more mobile-friendly and offers a broader scope of over-all City branding. Analytics were factored in to the placement of most searched items on our City website, creating an overall more user-friendly site.
– City of Grapevine Fleet Wins Bronze Award – The City of Grapevine’s fleet team was awarded with the 2016 Bronze Award (in 2017) presented by DFW Clean Cities (DFWCC), a program of the North Central Texas Council of Governments and the Regional Transportation Council. Cities were selected from 10 participating counties in North Texas and only nine cities received the bronze awards.
– Pulse Point – The Grapevine Fire Department partnered with Pulse Point Foundation. Grapevine citizens who are CPR-trained are asked to download the free Pulse Point mobile app which will alert you of cardiac events within a quarter mile radius (when in public places) so you may administer aid until paramedics arrive.
– Tom Thumb reopened its second location in Grapevine.
– Loan a Life Jacket Program – The Grapevine Fire Department in partnership with Grapevine Parks & Recreation (who constructed the life jacket trees) rolled out a program encouraging those visiting Grapevine Lake who were without life jackets to please borrow one while on or near the water. Available during the summer months, this program was incredibly successful and will continue in the summer months to come. BORROW. SURVIVE. RETURN.
– Dallas-Fort Worth Tied for the Nation’s Cleanest Cities – The majority of people living in the country’s 20 most populated metro areas consider their city clean and our Metroplex ranks number 1 by YouGov US. bit.ly/2g6tgHH.
– THE TRADE GROUP® relocates their global headquarters to Grapevine, Texas. The company has made the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies for the past four years and is one of the nation’s leading trade show exhibit and event companies. Known for its dedication to design excellence, the company provides trade show exhibit design and fabrication services, state-of-the-art live event planning, event execution and management; general contracting services for events; RFID technology/interactive experiences; as well as immersive corporate and commercial design and production.
– McPherson Farmhouse – A Piece of Grapevine History Went Up For Bid – The McPherson Farmhouse, constructed in 1886, is the sixth oldest house remaining in Grapevine. The McPherson family descendants have continuously occupied the house until earlier in 2017 when the remaining 4.2 acres of the farm were sold. Through the Grapevine Township Revitalization Program (GTRP), the Farmhouse was relocated to 420 East College Street to be stabilized and auctioned through a sealed bid process in late 2017. The new owners will be required to restore it to its original appearance. The Log Barn will be moved to the Cotton Belt Railroad Historic District for restoration and future use as an event facility.
– All-New Public Safety Building Dedication – Mayor William D. Tate, City Council and other City officials dedicated the all-new Grapevine Public Safety Building on September 5. This state-of-the-art facility is home to our Police Department, Courts, Fire Administration, Information Technology Department and Logistics. This multi-level facility boasts three different buildings on one campus totaling approximately 104,000 square feet. Our first responders will also benefit from enhanced technology allowing them to better assist Grapevine citizens.
– Walk of Fame Plaque Dedication – On September 14, Mayor WiIliam D. Tate, Grapevine City Council members and other City officials took part in honoring the service of Mayor Pro Tem C. Shane Wilbanks with a plaque dedication in front of City Hall.
– Willkommen Mercedes-Benz USA – The City of Grapevine welcomes Mercedes-Benz, USA (MBUSA). The two facilities involve a regional Parts Distribution Center (PDC) and a Learning & Performance Center (LPC). The LPC relocated from Houston to Grapevine and offers a high-end technical facility that accommodates on-going training of Mercedes-Benz dealership technicians from around the Southwest region. Grapevine, Texas, is now part of only six regional facilities within key markets of the United States from which to service its MBUSA client-dealerships.
– Grapevine Ranked 6th Best City to Raise a Family – With our high graduation rates, low housing costs and abundant employment opportunities, Grapevine is ranked one of the BEST by SmartAsset! bit.ly/2ra0TfX.
– Park Place Porsche Dealership officially under construction.
– Grapevine Voted #19 in Top 100 Best Places to Live – Grapevine was voted 19th in The Top 100 Best Places to Live in America by Money Magazine! View the full listing at ti.me/2wpLCKB.
– Grapevine is the official home of the largest BMW dealership in the world! – The new site features a two-story showroom showcasing 35 of the latest BMW models, another indoor display area with additional vehicles and a second-floor premium showroom showcasing the M Performance line and custom vehicles.
– Bond Election – Grapevine Citizens vote YES on the expansion of the Grapevine Animal Shelter renovation and expansion, new construction of Fire Stations 2 and 3 and the remodel and expansion of the Grapevine Golf Course Clubhouse & Concourse.
– Grapevine’s First Dog Park Opening Soon – Construction is scheduled for completion by mid-2018 for our first Dog Park.
– Grapevine Parks & Recreation partnered with National Fitness Campaign, the inventors of the Fitness Court®, and installed an outdoor gym at The REC. All ages are invited to utilize this complimentary body weight circuit training facility while exercising outdoors.
– Grapevine, in partnership with DFW International Airport submitted a formal request for the Amazon HQ2 bid.
– Grapevine continues to maintain one of the lowest property taxes in North Texas at .289.
Happy 2018, Grapevine!