The Pearland Crawfish Festival, one of Texas’ largest crawfish festivals, is moving to MSR Houston Motor Speedway, south on Hwy 288 from Pearland, where it has had its home for three years.
In the spirit of the move, the festival is expanding its brand to encompass the whole county, and has been renamed, “The Brazoria County Crawfish Festival.” This year’s festival will take place April 15 – 17 at MSR, located at One Performance Dr. in Angleton.
“Brazoria County – including Pearland – is experiencing explosive growth,” said festival organizer Bob Fuldauer. “But part of that growth in Pearland means few open tracts available for the site of a major festival that aren’t being developed.”
With much of the region historically used for rice farming, available open tracts have very poor drainage after rains. “Last year we had huge problems with mud and standing water with storms after a wet spring. We knew moving ahead we needed a site with concrete for the festival. MSR Houston offers that, as well as being a growing public race and event facility that will be available – and improving – for years to come,” Fuldauer added.
The Brazoria County Crawfish Festival takes the friendly, relaxed fun and community feel of a small town fair and serves it up big. With the move comes the chance to bring out more: more food – including more Cajun food, more vendors, more activities, more carnival rides and more fun! A new caterer will handle the key element of boiling and quickly serving the tens of thousands of tons of crawfish that the hungry crowds demand.
Red Swamp Crawfish has been providing Texas with live and hot, fresh, spicy crawfish for over 20 years. Their crawfish comes in daily from the best farmers in rice fields and the Atchafalaya River Basin of Louisiana. As caterers, they can serve any corporate or private event. With four boiling trailers going, they can put out 4,000 lbs. of bugs an hour. Another change from past years will be multiple crawfish stations.
Specialty entertainment, like the popular Splash Dogs, will be back and bigger than before, with new iguana races and more added to the armadillo races and contests. The Houston Blues Society will fill the Blues Society Stage with even more of the top local and regional blues favorites and rising newcomers. More of the area’s best Zydeco, Texas Country, and Classic Rock will raise the roof of the Bayou Stage.
A huge selection of vendors of unique wares, arts and crafts, a world-class carnival and children’s area will provide plenty of activities and fun for adults and kids alike.
MSR Houston is a professional, world-class racetrack that also has one of the longest, fastest, Go-Kart tracks in the country. Previously a track mostly for racing clubs and members, MSR is launching a major, multi-million dollar expansion to host national and international races and other region-wide concerts and events. The Brazoria County Crawfish Festival will be their first major public festival.
- Carnival: This year will see more, bigger, and better amusement rides and games with rides to thrill the adults and the little ones, too.
- The Houston Blues Society Stage: The Houston Blues Society is dedicated to the study, research and preservation of the blues culture and music unique to Houston, Texas and the Texas Gulf Coast. They will provide a stage showcasing this iconic music of overcoming struggle that has deep traditions joining Texas and Louisiana. This year they’ll bring even more and bigger acts.
- The Bayou Stage – The Cajun culture evokes a love of fun, good-time music. In Texas, Zydeco from Louisiana is joined by Texas Country and Classic Rock for the soundtrack of a great time.
- Specialty Entertainment: This year Iguana Races and other new specialty acts join the popular Armadillo Races, Splash Dogs, Crawfish and Funnel Cake Eating Contests. A special Crawfish Eating “heat” between Pearland’s police and fire departments will allow patrons to cheer on their heroes.
- MSR Go-Kart Track: MSR has one of the fastest Go-Kart tracks in the country, on one of the longest tracks. Patrons can enjoy real fast track action.
- Festival Vendors: The festival will feature rows of vendors with the best of arts, crafts, gifts and more from Brazoria County, the Greater Houston-Gulf Coast Area and around the country.
- Children’s Area: will provide all patrons need to keep their kids busy and having fun during the event.
For more information, visit BrazoriaCountyCrawfishFestival.com.