Film lovers in Grapevine will join over 100,000 film enthusiasts around the world during the week of Sept. 23 – Oct. 3 to view and vote on the 10 finalists’ films at Historic Palace Theatre.
Introducing the MANHATTAN SHORT Finalists of 2021
The Final Ten MANHATTAN SHORT finalists hail from eight countries with films from U.K., Afghanistan, Northern Ireland, Norway, Italy and Canada, alongside two films each from France and USA. These Final Ten selections represent the best short films from among 970 submissions from 70 countries received by MANHATTAN SHORT for 2021, which are testimony to the enduring vibrancy and creativity of short films worldwide.
MANHATTAN SHORT continues to be a showcase for new voices and perspectives:
- Death By Handshake director Hudson Flynn, for example, was just 16 years old when he created his wry nod to New York City living during the Covid – 19 pandemic.
- Humor also pervades films like Rough from Northern Ireland, France’s Archibald’s
- Syndrome and Monsieur Cashemire of Canada.
- Out of Time and the animated Aurora are close studies by a pair of woman directors of life at different stages of our existence from French and American perspectives.
- Short films tackling big topics include Norway’s The Kicksled Choir, which offers a refreshing look at conflict resolution.
- Bad Omen examines how a woman copes with stark circumstances in Afghanistan.
- Closed To The Light reaches back in time to focus on a riveting moment in World War II Italy
- Ganef examines that war’s trickle-down effect on subsequent generations. “Trauma is like a virus, resilient and adaptive, capable of living well beyond the moment it’s inflicted,” notes Ganef director Mark Rosenblatt, demonstrating once more how short films can give a subject full treatment.
The MANHATTAN SHORT Final Ten are:
- Death By Handshake (USA)\
- Ganef (UK)
- Bad Omen (Afghanistan)
Rough (Northern Ireland)
- Archibald’s Syndrome (France)
- The Kicksled Choir (Norway)
- Closed to the Light (Italy)
- Out of Time (France)
- Monsieur Cachemire (Canada)
All Final Ten short films become Oscar-qualified, meaning they will be automatically eligible for an Academy Award nomination by screening for a week at the Arena CineLounge in Hollywood in the county of Los Angeles from September 24th – 30th.
You Be the Judge!
Which of these Final Ten short films is the best? That’s up to a worldwide audience to decide. Cinema-goers across the United States and around the globe will become instant film critics as they are handed a ballot upon entry that allows them to vote for the Best Film and Best Actor. MANHATTAN SHORT is the ultimate audience award that salutes the creative talents of both directors behind the camera and actors in front of it. Votes will be sent through to MANHATTAN SHORT HQ with the winner announced at ManhattanShort.com on Monday Oct 4.
- Download Stills of films: http://www.manhattanshort.com/download-stills.html
- Link to the Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luWCQeR5vDI
- For more information, visit https://www.manhattanshort.com/
- Q & A with Hudson Flynn: http://www.manhattanshort.com/finalists/2021/death_by_handshake/death_by_handshake.html